My Blog List

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Globetrotters


When I was assigned this task of explaining the most unbelievable thing that has ever occurred in my life, I got to thinking that not really anything extremely insane has happened to me. On top of that, my teacher compared whatever event chosen was to stand out almost like the story of Life of PI. I was stumped, and so I thought of other less unbelievable events in my life, such as vacations and graduations, but even then they seemed dull. Then I remembered the time my parents took my siblings and me to watch the Harlem Globetrotters perform when I was about eight or nine. They were a group of extremely talented and disciplined basketball players. They would always go up against like a regular team who wouldn’t really try, just for amusement, like a show. Anyway, the drive there was only about twenty minutes. We arrived there, purchased food, drinks, and a basketball for me, then took our seats. When the game was about midway through the second quarter, one of the players on the Harlem Globetrotters called to me and told me to get on the court with him. Naturally being shy as a kid, I kind of looked away to my mom who then encouraged me to go with him. Hesitantly I stood up and walked onto the court with him. While the rest of the players were on the other half playing, we had this half to ourselves and he got an extra ball and instructed me to help his team out by making a shot a little short of the three point line. I took aim and shot, but it hit the rim and fell short. He grabbed both my arms and shook me screaming, “Are you trying to make us lose!” I had to take another shot and this time I made it. A big sigh of relief came over me and then the rest of the team came over and presented me with a shirt which was signed by all of them. They then made me do this crazy walk with them up and down the court which was hilarious. His teammate said I’m not allowed to be on the court be he said that I was his son and I looked just like him. This of course didn’t make any sense because he was African American. This was the most unexpected moment in my life I believe, and I received a very nice souvenir out of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment