My Blog List

Friday, March 15, 2013

Life of Pi


About a month ago, my World Literature teacher instructed us to read the book Life of Pi, and after reading it and being tested on it, the movie was released for view on “On Demand”. I figured that since I enjoyed reading the book, and seeing that the preview of the movie looked appealing, I decided to watch it. I wanted to watch it not only because it was a movie, but also so I could relate the similarities and differences between the two. The movie turned out to be amazing, as I anticipated, and stuck with the majority of the how the book described the story. The film was not only entertaining but illuminating beyond my expectations. It takes the viewer on a fantastical journey but also leaves us with profound and lasting impressions about our place in the universe. The ending may also leave you with more questions than answers, but sometimes that is infinitely more satisfying than the majority of predictable movies out there. The story is told in flashback by the adult Pi who relates the tale to a Canadian writer who wants to use Pi’s tale for a book. Pi is very philosophical about his experience, and he tells the writer that if he listens to the story he will “believe in God.” I would highly recommend anyone to either read the book or watch the movie, or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment